Skip to main content

When to expect your tax refund

Skip to main content
Kroger Logo Fry's King Soopers Smith's City Market QFC Ralphs Gerbes
Bakers Dillons PayLess Fred Meyer Pick N Save Logo Metro Market Logo marianos logo harris-teeter
Person writing a check

By law, taxpayers must properly address, mail and postmark their tax returns by April 17, 2018, to claim a tax refund. In some cases, the IRS will allow you to apply for an extension so you can file your taxes after April 17.

The quickest way to get a refund is to file electronically. It’ll usually be processed within 3 weeks of the date the IRS received your return. If you’ve mailed a paper form (Form 1040) it could take between 6 to 8 weeks.

After three years, any unclaimed refunds become the property of the US Treasury.

When to expect your tax refund?

If you claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit on your tax return, the IRS will hold your refund until February 27th.

The IRS will also hold your refund if it has any questions about your tax return, or needs any more information.

You can check your tax refund status by visiting or downloading the IRSGo mobile app. All you’ll need to provide is your Social Security Number (SSN) or Tax Identification Number (TIN), your filing status and the amount of refund due.

How will my tax refund arrive?

Unless you’ve chosen to have your tax refund directly deposited in your bank account, you’ll get a paper check through the mail.

The check may take up to 2 weeks to reach you because of weekends and holidays – including President’s Day

If your tax refund check fails to turn up - or is damaged - contact the IRS or your state tax agency. If you’ve lost your tax refund check, or failed to cash it before the 1-year tax refund check expiration date, call the IRS on 1-800-829-1954 to start a refund trace.

Can I get help with my tax returns?

For those who might struggle to fill in their tax return forms, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides help through an IRS-certified volunteer.

The program is aimed at people:

  • Earning less than $54,000 a year
  • With disabilities
  • With limited English

For elderly people aged over 60, there is the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program. This provides advice on pensions and retirement-related issues.

For more details on either of these programs, visit the IRS website.

Where should I cash my check?

Cash your check or cash out your debit cards at your local Money Services. We cash checks and cards up to $5,000. We’re based in the Kroger Co. Family of grocery stores across the US – just use our store locator to find out how close we are to you.

As well as saving you money with low fees, and special promotions available in store, we’re open extended hours – so you can visit us whenever is convenient for you. You don’t have to sign up – just hand us your check, show your identification, get your cash and you’ll be on your way in no time.

Find out more about our Check Cashing services including accepted checks and identification.

If you’ve got any questions about cashing your tax refund check, a Money Services associate should be able to help you when you visit your nearest store.

Back to top of page