Even with the likes of online banking and wire transfers that allow you to get money from one side of the world to the other instantly, many Americans still prefer to send money through the mail.
Posting anything can be risky, as your mail could go missing, get damaged or destroyed in transit or even stolen. Sometimes it may be your only option. When you need to send money to a loved one or pay a bill through the mail, there are safer methods than just posting cash.
Read our guide to discover the safest way to send money through the mail, as well as tips for protecting your money in the post.
What is the safest way to send money through the mail?
The safest way to send money through the mail is with a money order. This offers more security than cash, as it’s only payable to a specific person and can be cancelled and reordered if it is stolen or lost. It’s also better protected than a check, as it isn’t linked to a bank account. Other reasons that make money orders a safer way to mail funds include:
- No personal information is included
- They are accepted widely in the US and overseas
- It can be tracked and monitored
- You’ll receive a proof of payment receipt
- It doesn’t require a bank account or good credit rating to purchase
- The receiver will need to sign and show government-issued ID to get the funds
How do I get a money order?
You can purchase a money order at your local Money Services and post it in the mail to the receiver’s address.
To purchase a money order, you’ll need to fill out a specific form to give information about who’s receiving the funds and the exact amount you wish to send. You’ll then need to pay this upfront along with a small admin fee. In return, you’ll receive a receipt as proof of purchase.
How do I mail a check safely?
An alternative to sending a money order through the mail is to post a check. They work similarly to money orders, except checks are linked to your bank account. The money sent via a check will also only leave your account once the check has been deposited.
If you do need to mail a check, follow these tips to do it as safely as possible:
- Avoid checks that are payable in cash
- Track the check so you know when it has been received
- Drop the check off at the post office
- Include a specific name on the check
- Hide the check in a normal letter or card
What is the safest way to send cash through the mail?
Sending cash through the mail isn’t ideal as it can get lost, stolen or destroyed before it reaches its destination. However, if you do need to post cash, there are a few things you can do to keep it safe and secure:
- Use a security envelope
- Disguise it inside ‘junk’ mail – such as a flyer or promotional letter
- Send it through a tracked delivery service
- Purchase shipping insurance